Gold vermeil jewelry sounds exciting, fashionable and stylish. But is there a right time to wear gold vermeil? Are there occasions when you shouldn’t? As we often say, when styling fine gemstone jewelry, the occasion is very important. Sure, your outfit, hair and other jewelry matter as well, but never forget about the occasion. As you can’t go to the gym wearing a big pair of chandelier diamond earrings or go to a formal event wearing your cute wood hoops, you need to learn how to style jewelry according to the occasion. Want to learn more about gold vermeil and when to wear it? Read on to find out.
What is gold vermeil?
First things first, let’s talk a little bit about gold vermeil. You have probably heard of this term before, but there are some specifics you need to know.
In order for a jewelry piece to meet the standards of gold vermeil and be called as such, it needs to have three properties. Firstly, the core metal of the piece needs to be silver. If it’s brass, copper or any other metal, you may have a gold-plated or gold-filled jewelry piece, but not a vermeil one. Secondly, as the name suggests it, the piece needs to be plated with gold. Again, if you have a silver jewelry piece with a rhodium plating, for example, that is not gold vermeil. And last, but not least, the thickness of the gold layer needs to be at least 2.5 microns which, in the jewelry world, translates as a thick layer of gold.
Basically, gold vermeil combines the best properties of two precious metals. It has that luxurious golden look and is as affordable as a solid silver piece.
Wearing gold vermeil
Choosing to wear a gold vermeil jewelry piece is not rocket science. However, there are a couple dos and don’ts and by reading further to ensure not only an impeccable style but also the appropriate care for your gold vermeil jewelry.
When you shouldn’t wear gold vermeil
We will start with the don’ts as these are very important to remember. The dos represent styling inspiration and, even though interesting, you need to know what to avoid firstly.
If you want to maintain your vermeil jewelry, then you shouldn’t wear it when you go to a pool party, at the seaside or when exercising. Water can interact with the metals in your jewelry pieces and cause an accelerated wear & tear process. Also, perspiration caused by performing intense physical activities can also damage your gold vermeil as it is acidic. Remember that your jewelry means a thick layer of gold over silver. This means that the gold layer can wear off and this is especially true if your jewelry comes in contact with water or acidic substances.
Moving to the style section, you shouldn’t wear gold vermeil if all your other jewelry is silver. Technically, gold vermeil is also silver, but the thing is it looks like gold. And yes, we know what you are thinking. You can combine gold with silver, but, in order to achieve a balanced chic look, you need to wear a piece that features both metals on the outside. In other words, if you are wearing your gold vermeil ball chain necklace, choose a pair of earrings that feature both gold and silver.
When you should wear gold vermeil
You can, of course, wear gold vermeil every single day. For example, when going to work, you can easily pair your vermeil studs with a thin gold bangle and a cocktail ring. This look works great with suits, tailored trousers and even smart-casual outfits like skinny jeans and solid white shirts.
For after-work happy hour, a cocktail party or a night out with the girls, you can try a pair of oversized vermeil hoops, a thin gold collar and a couple of stacked gold bangles. As for your outfit, your little black dress is perfect for the occasion. Of course, it can also be red, blue or purple. The beauty of gold is that it works great with almost any color. Well, except for orange but, anyway, can you honestly say that you like orange?
If you are planning a romantic date, there’s nothing more feminine than a rose gold vermeil ball chain necklace, a nature-inspired ring and a pair of subtle pearl drop earrings. Your retro skirt or your flowy dress will look fantastic with these pieces. To complete the look, wear your hair in an interesting braid and add a touch of soft-colored lipstick.
And what about those fancy occasions? Can you wear gold vermeil to a formal event? Of course, you can. For your cousin’s wedding, you can choose an elegant sparkly monochrome look. A gold sequin dress will look fabulous with a thick vermeil gemstone cuff and a pair of chandelier earrings. You can also wear a beautiful solitaire ring, but it’s best to leave your necklace at home as you don’t want it to clash with your dress. Make your gold vermeil jewelry the star of the evening and use your gown as a canvass for your pieces. A dress in a muted color looks fantastic with a gemstone statement necklace, a tennis bracelet and a pair of gold vermeil earrings with diamonds or clear crystals.
If you want to read more about jewelry, check out our other articles as well. To see Ana Luisa’s unique vermeil jewelry collection, visit our online jewelry shop.
Others interesting posts about this topic :
- Unique Designer Jewelry by Ana Luisa in Co-creation with fashion icons
- Best Bridal Jewelry Ideas by Ana Luisa
- Lady in Red Look: Top Ana Luisa’s Pieces with Red Gemstones
- How to Style Shell Jewelry
- 4 Summer Jewelry Pieces that We Love
- Wearing Black Onyx Jewelry with Other Gemstone Jewelry
- The Best Prom Jewelry Ideas for Prom
- How to Wear Jewelry Sets in a Modern Way?
- The Best Libra Jewelry That Will Match Your Style
- Virgo Jewelry – Discover the Best Designs for You
- Finding the Right Gemini Jewelry for You
- Paris Jewelry Inspiration
- What New Year Jewelry to Wear to the Party?
- Our Top Picks for December Jewelry
- What Is Hair Jewelry?
- How To Wear Flower Jewelry?
- Best Strapless Dress Jewelry Ideas
- How To Style Tassel Jewelry
- What Is The Best Office Jewelry For You?
- What Types of Jeans Jewelry Are There?
- Top Trendy Jewelry This Winter
- How to Style Onyx Jewelry
- Top fashion tips for styling solid gold jewelry
- How to style Rose Gold jewelry
- Silver vs gold – the eternal question
- Best Couples Jewelry Ideas
- Jewelry designs by era
- How to wear Vintage Jewelry
- Best Party Jewelry Ideas
- The Ultimate Guide to combining Gemstone Jewelry
- Designer Jewelry & the four personality types
- Fall Jewelry Upcoming Trends
- Zodiac jewelry – What pieces are best for each astrological sign
- Romantic jewelry – What to wear on your dreamy first date
- What prom jewelry to wear on your special night
- What to choose from your jewelry box for an interview