Metal rings are classic jewelry pieces that every woman must have in her jewelry box. Whether we are talking about precious metal rings or fashion rings, one can never have too many of these fabulous jewelry pieces. An elegant platinum ring is an ideal accessory for a formal gathering, while a chunky titanium ring will look great at a rock concert. However, with so many options to choose from, one can get confused. To help you discover what metal rings you need to have, we have created a comprehensive buying guide. Read further to find out which are the top metal rings that any woman must own.
A gold metal ring
A gold ring is versatile and elegant at the same time. When buying gold rings, you need to pay attention to three things:
- The gold color
- The karat type
- The ring setting (if the ring features gemstones)
As you may know, there are many gold colors to choose from. While green or black gold is hard to find in a jewelry boutique, you will, most probably, have to choose between three gold colors – yellow gold, rose gold and white gold. All these colors are beautiful and it is simply a matter of preference.
When you buy metal rings made of gold, you need to look carefully at the karat type. Usually, you will see the karat marking on the inside of the band. Gold karats range from 10k gold to 22k gold. What you need to know about the karats is that they represent the amount of gold in a jewelry piece. With 10k gold you get 41.7% gold while a 22k gold ring will have 91.6% gold. Of course, a 10k gold ring will be less expensive than a 22k one, but it will also be more resistant. Since gold is a soft metal, higher karat pieces will always be more fragile than lower karat ones.
Last, but not least, with metal rings, the setting is very important. If your ring features gemstones, take a good look at the setting to see how secure and sturdy it is.
Gold plated rings
It is a great idea to own at least one gold ring to wear every day. But you should also have a couple of fashion gold plated rings to wear for different events. As opposed to solid gold pieces, gold plated metal rings contain a thin layer of gold over another metal or alloy. In this category, you will discover gold plated and gold filled jewelry pieces. The difference between them is the thickness of the gold layer. Gold filled pieces usually contain a thicker layer of gold than gold plated metal rings. However, make sure you don’t confuse a gold filled ring with a solid gold one. Vermeil is a special type of gold plating and it refers to silver pieces that contain a layer of gold.
When you buy gold plated metal rings, pay attention to the ring setting and the band color. Gold plated rings also have a marking on the inside of the band to let you know you are getting a gold plated piece. Usually, you can also tell if the ring is plated with 14k gold, 18k gold, etc.
Silver metal rings
When it comes to metal rings, you also need to have a silver jewelry piece. Silver is a beautiful and versatile metal which you can wear every day or even on special occasions. Usually, on a silver ring, you will see the hallmark “925” on the inside of the band. This means that you are getting a sterling silver ring. Just like gold, silver is soft and this is why silver pieces contain an alloy. If your silver ring gets tarnished in time, don’t despair. Just rub it with a silver polishing cloth to remove the tarnish and restore its beautiful shine.
This buying guide wouldn’t have been complete without a platinum ring. Very elegant and precious, the platinum ring must not miss from your jewelry box. When buying a platinum ring, you need to be very sure of what you are getting. As opposed to other precious metals, platinum does not melt, which means you won’t be able to turn your ring into something else. Also, ring resizing gets very hard when it comes to platinum, so make sure you get the right size.
Non-precious metal rings
Besides the rings made of precious metals, there are also other metal rings you need to consider for the advantages they offer.
- Stainless steel metal rings are great for people with nickel allergies. Also called surgical steel, this metal is very resistant. You can wear a stainless steel ring every day and it will not get scratched or ruined.
- Copper metal rings are very beautiful and affordable. They have a unique color and are great to wear with boho-chic
- Titanium metal rings are durable and look beautiful. You can find a great variety of titanium fashion rings in a jewelry boutique.
Visit our online jewelry boutique to view our fabulous collection of gold plated & fine silver rings. To find out more information about jewelry, read our other articles as well.
Others interesting posts about this topic :
- Trending 14k Gold Jewelry This Season
- Travel Jewelry – The Best Travel Inspired Designs
- Mothers Day Gift Ideas This Year
- Top Ideas for Mothers Day Jewelry
- Our Top Favorite Pink Gemstones
- How to Buy Black Pearls
- Freshwater Pearls vs. The Saltwater Varieties
- What Jewelry to Offer as a Valentines Day Gift
- Ana Luisa’s Most Popular Jewelry
- Our Top Picks for January Jewelry
- What Is Coin Jewelry?
- Valentines Jewelry: Top Gift Ideas
- Most Important Jewelry Trends this Year
- What Gemstone Jewelry Should Your Wear in 2019?
- Jewelry Gift Boxes Ideas for Christmas
- What Makes a Good Jewelry Gift Box?
- How to Find Jewelry Coupon Codes: Mejuri Coupon Code & Others
- Ana Luisa’s Top of the Best Colorless & White Gemstones
- Top Fabulous Red Gemstones
- Everything You Need to Know about Gold Vermeil Jewelry
- Tourmaline Jewelry Buying Guide
- What is ethnic jewelry?
- Topaz Jewelry Buying Guide
- Our Favorite Simple Jewelry Pieces Any Woman Should Have
- How to Buy Lapis Lazuli Jewelry
- Which Are the Best Jewelry Metals for Your Style?
- 14k Gold VS 18k Gold – Which Should You Get?
- Timeless Jewelry Pieces That You Need to Have
- What Is Hypoallergenic Jewelry?
- Top Interesting Cultural Jewelry Pieces
- Garnet Jewelry Buying Guide
- What Is the Winter Jewelry You Need to Have This Season?
- How to Buy Rose Quartz Jewelry
- 5 Reason Why a Jewelry Gift Card is a Great Idea
- How to Buy Malachite Jewelry
- Top Tips When You Buy Jewelry Online
- Top Christmas Jewelry Present Ideas
- What To Avoid When Buying Black Friday Jewelry?
- Birthday Jewelry Guide
- How To Start Your Jewelry Collection
- How To Pick Personalized Jewelry
- How To Buy Opal Jewelry
- Everything You Need To Know About Rhodium Plating
- White Gold Jewelry, Rose Gold and Yellow Gold – Which One Is Right for You?
- What Is Ancient Greek Jewelry and How to Buy It?
- What Is Byzantine Jewelry and Why Should You Have Some?
- How many gold colors are there?
- How to buy freshwater pearls
- How to buy Akoya pearls
- How to buy South Sea Pearls
- How to buy Tahitian Pearls
- What to look for when choosing a jewelry box
- What are chocolate diamonds?
- How to buy Moonstone jewelry
- How to buy jade jewelry
- How to spot fake pearls
- What to do if you have a nickel allergy?
- What is Inlay Jewelry?
- Should you buy 10k gold jewelry?
- Top tips when buying amethyst jewelry
- What are the different diamond cuts?
- Top 10 gems used for semi precious stones jewelry
- What is estate jewelry?
- What is art deco jewelry?
- How can you tell if your antique jewelry is worth a lot?
- 7 of the World’s Rarest Gemstones & their value
- Enamel jewelry buying guide
- Discover the most expensive gems in the world
- Top Mom Jewelry Gift Ideas
- Zircon vs cubic zirconia – What is the difference?
- White Gold vs Platinum – Do You Know the Difference?
- Silver vs Sterling Silver – What is the difference?
- Rose Gold Jewelry Buying Guide
- Gold dipped jewelry – The difference between vermeil & gold plating
- Gold Plated vs Gold Filled Jewelry: What Is the Difference?
- What you should know about gold plated jewelry