Rose quartz jewelry is feminine, delicate and elegant. It goes great with both formal and informal outfits and it can be a lifesaver when you don’t know what jewelry to wear. However, when buying precious & semi precious stones jewelry, there are factors that you need to take into consideration. As every gemstone is different, so are these factors. This is why we have decided to help you out and let you know how to buy rose quartz jewelry. Read further to find out what you need to know about it.
What is rose quartz?
As the name suggests it, rose quartz is a variety of quartz. It comes in a unique range of colors, from peach to vivid pink. Its stunning color is the result of a combination of manganese, titanium, and iron in its composition. Rose quartz, however, isn’t just pretty. It is also a durable gemstone with a 7 on the Mohs hardness scale.
And as if its color and durability wouldn’t be enough to make it an awesome gemstone, you should also know that rose quartz is the Love Stone. This is the name it has in many cultures, while others prefer to call it the Heart Stone. Regardless of the name, this gemstone is amazing and you should definitely have it in your jewelry collection.
How many types of rose quartz are there?
Besides the classic rose quartz jewelry which you can find in every jewelry shop, there are another two very rare types of rose quartz. But before we talk about them, it’s important to mention that, as opposed to many gemstones, rose quartz doesn’t develop crystals or crystal faces. From a gemologist’s point of view, this is the most interesting feature of rose quartz.
However, there is a very rare variety of rose quartz that forms crystals – the pink quartz. Besides this variety, the third type of rose quartz is known as star rose quartz. This beautiful gemstone can feature a cat’s eye effect or a star when the jewelry makers polish it into spheres or cabochons.
How to buy rose quartz jewelry
As we mentioned in the beginning, rose quartz jewelry is fabulous. But you need to pay attention to several factors when buying it. We are going to talk about these factors so next time you go jewelry shopping you know exactly what to get.
Rose quartz jewelry & its color
Yes, the color is a deciding factor when buying rose quartz jewelry because it affects its price. As with most gemstones, the deeper the color, the most expensive the pieces. You can get a pale variety of rose quartz or, if you want your rose quartz jewelry to stand out, you can get a deeper shade of pink. However, be prepared to pay more for a darker hue.
Rose quartz jewelry & its clarity
For all its amazing properties, rose quartz is rarely clear. If you notice the rose quartz jewelry you want to buy has a cloudy look, then it means the gemstone has many inclusions. This is quite usual for rose quartz as this gemstone is rarely transparent.
Rose quartz jewelry & its cut
As you know, the cut of a gemstone has the purpose to maximize reflection and make it more brilliant. However, since rose quartz is generally cloudy, jewelers usually cut it as a cabochon for pendants, rings or earrings. Another common cut for rose quartz is to make it into beads or to give it a heart shape. If you notice the rose quartz jewelry you want to buy features a star-like effect, then be prepared to pay more. As we mentioned in the beginning, this start rose quartz variety is very rare.
How to identify fake rose quartz jewelry
Unfortunately, as with every gemstone, there are options to create fake rose quartz jewelry. The good news is that you don’t have to be a jewelry expert to tell apart real rose quartz from the fake one. The transparency of the gemstone is a good indicator because rose quartz doesn’t have a good clarity. If the jewelry you want to buy seems transparent but has a low price, there is a 99% chance it is not genuine rose quartz jewelry.
Another way to test rose quartz jewelry is to assess its hardness. Usually, rose quartz can scratch a steel file because it has a good hardness score. If it can’t, then it’s probably a fake variety.
Last, but not least, look carefully at the gemstone and see if you notice bubbles inside it. Sometimes, you can find jewelry labeled as rose quartz that has nothing to do with this gemstone or any gemstone. It is simply dyed glass jewelry and it can have bubbles inside it. Rose quartz will never present bubbles inside.
If you want to discover more about jewelry buying, check out our other articles as well. To see Ana Luisa’s unique gemstones jewelry collections, visit our online jewelry shop.
Others interesting posts about this topic :
- 4 Things You Need to Know About Fine Sterling Silver Jewelry
- How to Buy Fine Gold Jewelry Depending on Your Needs
- Best Types of Jewelry this Season
- Where to Find the Best Jewelry Sale?
- Our Favorite Freshwater Pearls Jewelry by Ana Luisa
- How to Buy Agate Jewelry
- How to Check the Diamond Quality
- Top 6 Essential Jewelry Pieces for Any Woman
- Discover Our Top Picks for Capricorn Jewelry
- Sagittarius Jewelry Pieces That You Can’t Wait to Try On
- Scorpio Jewelry Pieces that We Love
- Focus on Leo Jewelry – What Are the Right Pieces for You?
- Best Cancer Jewelry Pieces That You Need to Have
- Taurus Jewelry – Which Pieces Define Your Style?
- Aries Jewelry – Discover the Designs that Represent Your Astrological Sign
- Top Pisces Jewelry Designs that You Will Love
- Focus on Aquarius Jewelry – What Should You Get?
- Trending this Season: Zodiac Jewelry
- Trending 14k Gold Jewelry This Season
- Travel Jewelry – The Best Travel Inspired Designs
- Mothers Day Gift Ideas This Year
- Top Ideas for Mothers Day Jewelry
- Our Top Favorite Pink Gemstones
- How to Buy Black Pearls
- Freshwater Pearls vs. The Saltwater Varieties
- What Jewelry to Offer as a Valentines Day Gift
- Ana Luisa’s Most Popular Jewelry
- Our Top Picks for January Jewelry
- What Is Coin Jewelry?
- Valentines Jewelry: Top Gift Ideas
- Most Important Jewelry Trends this Year
- What Gemstone Jewelry Should Your Wear in 2019?
- Jewelry Gift Boxes Ideas for Christmas
- What Makes a Good Jewelry Gift Box?
- How to Find Jewelry Coupon Codes: Mejuri Coupon Code & Others
- Ana Luisa’s Top of the Best Colorless & White Gemstones
- Top Fabulous Red Gemstones
- Everything You Need to Know about Gold Vermeil Jewelry
- Tourmaline Jewelry Buying Guide
- What is ethnic jewelry?
- Topaz Jewelry Buying Guide
- Our Favorite Simple Jewelry Pieces Any Woman Should Have
- How to Buy Lapis Lazuli Jewelry
- Which Are the Best Jewelry Metals for Your Style?
- 14k Gold VS 18k Gold – Which Should You Get?
- Timeless Jewelry Pieces That You Need to Have
- What Is Hypoallergenic Jewelry?
- Top Interesting Cultural Jewelry Pieces
- Garnet Jewelry Buying Guide
- What Is the Winter Jewelry You Need to Have This Season?
- 5 Reason Why a Jewelry Gift Card is a Great Idea
- How to Buy Malachite Jewelry
- Top Tips When You Buy Jewelry Online
- Top Christmas Jewelry Present Ideas
- What To Avoid When Buying Black Friday Jewelry?
- Birthday Jewelry Guide
- How To Start Your Jewelry Collection
- How To Pick Personalized Jewelry
- How To Buy Opal Jewelry
- Everything You Need To Know About Rhodium Plating
- White Gold Jewelry, Rose Gold and Yellow Gold – Which One Is Right for You?
- What Is Ancient Greek Jewelry and How to Buy It?
- What Is Byzantine Jewelry and Why Should You Have Some?
- How many gold colors are there?
- How to buy freshwater pearls
- How to buy Akoya pearls
- How to buy South Sea Pearls
- How to buy Tahitian Pearls
- What to look for when choosing a jewelry box
- What are chocolate diamonds?
- How to buy Moonstone jewelry
- How to buy jade jewelry
- How to spot fake pearls
- What to do if you have a nickel allergy?
- What is Inlay Jewelry?
- Should you buy 10k gold jewelry?
- Top tips when buying amethyst jewelry
- What are the different diamond cuts?
- Top 10 gems used for semi precious stones jewelry
- What is estate jewelry?
- What is art deco jewelry?
- How can you tell if your antique jewelry is worth a lot?
- 7 of the World’s Rarest Gemstones & their value
- Enamel jewelry buying guide
- Discover the most expensive gems in the world
- Top Mom Jewelry Gift Ideas
- Zircon vs cubic zirconia – What is the difference?
- Metal Rings Buying Guide
- White Gold vs Platinum – Do You Know the Difference?
- Silver vs Sterling Silver – What is the difference?
- Rose Gold Jewelry Buying Guide
- Gold dipped jewelry – The difference between vermeil & gold plating
- Gold Plated vs Gold Filled Jewelry: What Is the Difference?
- What you should know about gold plated jewelry