Versatile, fashionable and classy, stud earrings are timeless pieces of jewelry. You can wear them with any jewelry, you can stack them and you can even wear them mismatched. As simple and elegant as they are, stud earrings let your imagination run wild. If you don’t have at least a couple of studs in your jewelry box, then it’s time to buy some. As usual, the best advice for buying stud earrings you will find on Ana Luisa’s blog so let’s get cracking.
Types of stud earrings
A stud is a simple earring with a post that goes through the ear’s piercing and is secured with a back piece. There are many types of stud earrings, depending on what you are looking for. Buy when you buy studs, you need to know the language in order to know what to ask for.
Studs by style
There are three main styles of stud earrings and all of them are cute and versatile:
- Classic studs feature a post and a butterfly back piece. They go through the ear piercing and we recommend not to wear them on cartilage piercings. Before buying a pair of classic stud earrings, ask about the metal. Some people have nickel allergy and most jewelry metals, including precious ones, contain an amount of nickel in the alloy.
- Labrets feature a post and a flat back plate and are very comfortable to wear. Initially, labrets were designed for lip piercings, but nowadays women use them as studs. They are even suitable for cartilage earrings and, due to the flat back, you can even sleep while wearing your labret studs.
- Barbells are special types of studs that feature two identical pieces united by a post. When you buy barbells you have to pay attention to the length of the post as you don’t want it to be too visible and create a Frankenstein look. Usually, the length should be somewhere around 6 and 8 mm, but it is safer to simply measure the post of a stud you already have.
- Fake piercing studs are ideal for women who don’t like needles and don’t have pierced ears. These studs are usually magnetic and you can simply clip them on the earlobe.
Stud earrings by materials
When it comes to metals and materials, stud earrings can either be all metal or they can feature a gemstone. An all-metal stud is an earring that doesn’t have a center stone. You can buy gold or silver studs, as well as stud earrings of alternative materials. Instead of the center stone, you will get e central piece of the same metal as the earring itself.
Gemstone stud earrings, on the other hand, feature a central precious or semi precious stone. Depending on your personal style, you can buy pearl or diamond studs, amethyst or sapphire stud earrings, or even onyx studs. With gemstone stud earrings you need to look carefully at the stone’s cut in order to appreciate the value. A high-quality cut will let the light enter the stone and reflect back to create brilliance.
If you are buying all-metal studs, you need to check the hallmarks for precious metals (gold, silver & platinum). Remember that people with nickel allergies are not comfortable wearing studs that contain a high level of nickel. It is best to ask the jeweler before purchasing a pair of stud earrings.
Stud earrings by design
Casual or elegant, studs are extremely cute and feminine. Elegant styles usually feature gemstones and have a rather classic design. Casual studs are usually all-metal with geometric or thematic shapes. You can find stud earrings shaped like stiletto shoes, natural elements, zodiacal signs, etc. Our recommendation is to have a pair of elegant classy stud earrings, like the pearl or diamond studs and multiple pairs of fashion studs.
Why you need stud earrings
You may be the type who loves her oversized hoops and statement earrings, but you should still have a couple of studs in your jewelry box. Why? For a million reasons, but here are the most important ones:
- They are versatile and easy to match. This means that when you are in a hurry, you can simply put your stud earrings on and choose any outfit without thinking twice.
- They are great for stacking earrings. Sure, you have your ear cuffs and cartilage hoops, but earrings stacking isn’t complete without a pair of studs. It is simply not possible.
- Studs are great to wear with your statement necklaces. Remember that chunky necklace you bought but never got to wear? That’s because a statement necklace doesn’t really work with hoops or dangle earrings. So if you want to get to wear it, buy a pair of stud earrings to be able to match it.
- They work for any occasion. No matter if you are going to a fancy gala or to a girls’ poker game, your studs will never look out of place.
Check out Ana Luisa’s fine jewelry collection to view our unique & chic stud earrings. To discover more fashion advice and inspiration, read our other articles as well.
Others interesting posts about this topic :
- What Are the Different Types of Earrings Trending This Year?
- Trend Alert: Pearl Hoop Earrings
- Top Trendy Stud Earrings This Year
- 5 Unique Hoop Earrings by Ana Luisa
- How to Buy Dangle Earrings?
- Our Top Picks for Fantasy Earrings
- Gold Plated Earrings Ideas for Each Day of the Week
- What Are Linear Drop Earrings?
- Silver Studs Buying Guide
- How To Buy Twisted Hoop Earrings
- Top 7 Fashionable Earrings by Ana Luisa
- Best pearl earrings by Ana Luisa
- Solid gold earrings buying guide
- Ana Luisa’s Best Statement Earrings
- Top enamel earrings this fall
- Hoop Earrings Buying Guide
- Drop Earrings Buying Guide
- How to buy pearl earrings