The onyx bracelet is a semi precious jewelry type which features onyx gemstones. A great advantage of an onyx bracelet is that it is easy to style and match with various outfits. This type of bracelet is also durable and maintains its beautiful look in time. Read further to discover more interesting facts about the onyx bracelet and why you need to have it in your jewelry box.
Facts about onyx
Onyx is a type of chalcedony that forms when silica enters gas cavities in lava. It takes many years for an onyx gemstone to form, but the result is exquisite. Usually, this type of gemstone comes in red, orange, brown or black colors. You should know that the black variety is the rarest type of onyx. You can find onyx gemstones in Peru, Uruguay, Brazil, India, Madagascar, Afghanistan, but also in the U.S. Here are some interesting facts to know about the onyx gemstone:
- It has a hardness of 7 on the Mohs hardness scale. However, even though durable, some onyx stones are porous which is why mechanical cleaning methods can be risky for your onyx jewelry.
- Its name comes from Greek and it means “claw” or “fingernail”. This is interesting to know because there is a Roman myth talking about the origin of the onyx stone. According to this myth, when goddess Venus was sleeping, Cupid cut her fingernails. The nails felt into a river and, as they reached the bottom, they transformed into the beautiful onyx stone.
- The black onyx jewelry can be a perfect gift to celebrate 10 years of marriage. Other onyx varieties are used to celebrate 7 years of marriage.
Because of its vibrant and elegant color, black onyx jewelry is fashionable and great to own. It can also represent a thoughtful and beautiful present for somebody dear.
Types of onyx bracelets
If you want to buy an onyx bracelet, you should know about the different types available on the market:
- An onyx charm bracelet is a delicate and fashionable piece of jewelry that goes great with a strapless black dress or a pair of baggy jeans and a white T-shirt. It is appropriate for both formal and informal occasions.
- A cuff bracelet with onyx gemstones is a very elegant piece of jewelry. It is more appropriate for formal occasions, but it can also look great with a sharp suit.
- An onyx bangle is a subtle accessory, ideal to wear in the summer. It adds a creative and contemporary touch to any outfit, but it looks especially fashionable with a flowery summer dress.
- An onyx chain bracelet features onyx gemstones in a setting. This type of bracelet is great to wear at work or even when you go out with your friends.
Besides the styles, the onyx bracelet can be of different metals. You can buy a gold onyx bracelet which is versatile and elegant. You can also get a gold plated onyx bracelet which features onyx gemstones on a metal with a thin layer of gold plating. A silver onyx bracelet is more casual, but it is also elegant and delicate.
How to care for an onyx bracelet
As you read above, even though onyx is a pretty tough gemstone, some varieties can be porous. This is why you should avoid mechanical cleaning methods with an onyx bracelet. Also, when it comes to detergents and soap, it is best not to use them as they can infiltrate the stone. If this happens, the stone will lose its vibrant color in time. As a result, you should only clean your onyx bracelet using a lint-free cloth dipped in warm water. Make sure to dry your bracelet after your clean it.
To maintain your onyx bracelet you shouldn’t wear it when you are exercising or doing housework. While this stone may be hard, it can get scratched. When you store it in the jewelry box, make sure to keep it separate from your other jewelry pieces. If you own a silver onyx bracelet, store it in an anti-tarnish pouch. If you notice a tarnish layer on it, you can polish it with a silver polishing cloth to remove it, but be careful not to scratch the gemstones.
Emma Onyx bracelet
At Ana Luisa, you will find a high-quality exquisite 14k gold plated onyx bracelet. The Emma onyx bracelet features onyx charms and it is a delicate and elegant piece of jewelry. This beautiful charm bracelet is also an ideal gift for somebody born in July. According to the old tradition, the onyx gemstone is the birthstone for July. Elegant, subtle and fine quality, the Emma charm bracelet is an ideal accessory to wear every single day.
Click here to discover Ana Luisa’s onyx charm bracelet. For more jewelry advice, read our other articles as well and make sure to share them with your friends.
Others interesting posts about this topic :