Wearing a ruby necklace gives you confidence. There’s something about its fiery deep red color or the beautiful way it reflects the light. Whether it is, we can all agree that a ruby necklace spells fabulous. And because we are obsessed with it, we have done our research and came up with an interesting article for any jewelry lover. Keep on reading to find out more about the ruby, how to style necklaces with rubies and how to take care of them.
What are rubies?
The ruby is one of the four precious stones. The other three are diamonds, sapphires, and emeralds. What is very interesting about is the fact that a ruby gem is nothing but a red sapphire. You see, both sapphires are rubies are made of corundum and the only difference between them is the color. They are, basically, the same gemstone. And while sapphires come in many colors (blue, pink, black, etc.), the ruby can only be red. It is its defining characteristic.
And, because rubies are sapphires, they share the same hardness score on the Mohs scale, which is 9. That’s right. Only diamonds are harder than rubies.
So when you are getting a ruby necklace, you can rest assured that it will not scratch easily. However, you should also know that when it comes to protecting the gemstone, the bezel and the flush settings are the most secure.
Back to the ruby, this gem has always fascinated people. Its lush deep red color is mesmerizing and it always attracts attention. This is why, ever since ancient times, people have associated rubies with passion, love and wealth. In India, for example, wearing a ruby necklace means that you will fall at peace with your enemies.
Famous ruby jewelry
Like any other precious gem, the ruby has always grabbed people’s attention. This is why today we can name a couple of famous rubies that have become legendary. Up until the 19th century, people confused the red spinel with the ruby, which is why today we have some famous “rubies” that are not rubies at all. However, later on, people learned to make the difference between the two gems.
One of the most famous rubies is the Rosser Reeves Star Ruby which can now be found at the Smithsonian Institution. This incredible gemstone is the largest and finest star ruby in the world. The “Hope Ruby” is another famous gem. It was not a ruby necklace, but a ruby ring which was sold for $6.74 million, making it the most expensive ruby in the world.
Buying & styling a ruby necklace
Any woman who loves jewelry should have a ruby necklace in her collection. It doesn’t have to be a big, statement necklace. In fact, we recommend the opposite as you will get more chances to wear it this way. A chunky ruby necklace with a cluster of gems may not look fantastic with a flowy summer dress. However, a delicate necklace with a ruby pendant will be the perfect accessory both to your elegant and casual outfits.
When buying a ruby necklace, notice the color of the gemstone. The deeper the color, the more valuable the stone. Also, notice the setting and how it secures the gem.
Styling a ruby necklace is easy as long as you let your imagination take the lead. Ditch boring jewelry sets and combine your ruby necklace with other gems such as diamonds, clear crystals, pearls, and moonstone. You can also layer your ruby necklace to get a hip look or you can go monochrome with red clothes and your necklace. Mix metals and wear your ruby necklace with both gold and silver to create a precious look.
How to take care of a ruby necklace
Due to the fact that the ruby is a durable gem, you will be able to wear your ruby necklace every single day if you want to. However, you still need to clean it regularly using a damp microfiber cloth and warm water.
Keep your necklace away from harsh chemicals and make sure to apply perfume and body lotion before you put it on. Also, don’t forget about the mandatory jewelry inspection to make sure that the setting is intact and the gem secured.
Is the ruby your birthstone?
Aside from being gorgeous, the ruby is also the birthstone of July. This means that, if you are born in July, you have even more reasons for getting a ruby necklace. Wearing your birthstone is always a great idea as it offers personal meaning to jewelry. Another great idea is to offer a ruby necklace to somebody born in July. It will be the ideal present that will sweep them off their feet and show them how much you pay attention to details.
If you enjoyed finding out about the ruby necklace, then check out our other articles as well. Just use the search box on this blog to discover all the information you need about jewelry. Whether you want to find out how to buy certain gems, how to take care of your pieces or simply how to style your jewelry the best way, Ana Luisa’s blog is your answer.
To see our unique birthstone necklaces and get a fabulous necklace, visit Ana Luisa online jewelry shop and discover our collections. Our jewelry is always stunning, ethical and fairly priced so that you can enjoy high-end designer jewelry.
Others interesting posts about this topic :
- 5 Reasons to Buy an Emerald Necklace
- Wearing the Diamond Necklace Every Day of the Week
- 3 Chic Ideas for Wearing a Pearl Beads Necklace
- How a Moonstone Necklace Is Perfect for Any Occasion
- When to Wear Simple Chain Necklaces
- How to Style a Honeycomb Necklace
- How to Wear a Lapis Lazuli Necklace
- The Gold Horn Necklace – Top Ideas on How to Wear It
- Which One of Ana Luisa’s Pearl Necklaces Suits Your Style?
- Top Ideas for a Chic Collar Necklace
- When & How to Wear a Heart Necklace
- The New Statement of 2019: Layered Necklaces
- How to Style a Ball Chain Necklace?
- What Is a Good Luck Necklace?
- Fashion Necklaces Ideas for Each Day of the Week
- Which Ana Luisa Ball Chain Necklace Is the Right One for You?
- Trending Now: The Coin Necklace
- How to Wear a Pearl Necklace
- How to Wear a Pearl Pendant
- Matching Your Choker Necklace with Your Other Jewelry
- How to Wear a Statement Necklace
- How to Style a Semi Precious Stone Necklace Depending on the Color of the Gemstones
- Which Necklace Length Is Ideal for Each Moment of the Day?
- What Is a Layered Necklace & How Should You Wear One?
- How to wear Ana Luisa’s layered necklaces?
- How to choose the perfect size for your pendant necklace
- How to style a collar necklace
- How to wear a rope necklace each day of the week
- How To Wear: Chunky Necklace
- Where Do I Wear a Lace Choker?
- Spiritual Jewelry: Evil Eye Necklace
- Grunge Look – Skull Necklace
- Bar Necklace – How Do I Wear it?
- Bridesmaid Jewelry – What to Choose
- Summer Trend: Lotus Necklace
- How-to Style: Crystal Choker
- Our 2018 favorite layered necklaces
- How to style a choker necklace?