In case you have missed the latest fashion shows, jade jewelry has become an important trend for this season. Mysterious, elegant and vibrant, jade jewelry is great both for everyday wear and formal wear. But do you know what to look for when buying jade jewelry or semi precious gemstones? Read further to find out. We have created this shopping guide for you to help you pick the best jade pieces and wear them with style.
How many types of jade are there?
When it comes to jade jewelry, there are two types of jade to choose from: jadeite or nephrite. There are a lot of differences between those two types of jade. For instance, jadeite is more expensive because it is rarer. It also comes in more color variations, while nephrite is usually green, white, red or yellow. If you don’t get your jade jewelry from a reputable jewelry store, you may have the surprise to discover that the jeweler is trying to pass off nephrite as jadeite. You have to be very careful about this and ask which of these jade types you are buying.
Even if the two gemstones look the same, they have very different mineral compositions. This makes jadeite slightly harder on the Mohs hardness scale than nephrite. However, both of them have low hardness numbers.
Treatments for your jade jewelry
Besides distinguishing between jadeite and nephrite, you also have to distinguish between three different types you can find in jade jewelry.
Type A is the most expensive one and it is also almost natural jade. We say also because each jade gemstone receives a treatment. In the case of type A, it only receives a wax treatment to fill the stone’s irregularities and offer it a lustrous finish. However, the color of Type A jade is natural as the wax treatment doesn’t enhance or change it.
Type B jade in jade jewelry goes through bleaching by using sulfuric acid. After that, it receives a wax treatment. The problem with type B jade is that the acid makes the stone brittle sometimes and causes it to deteriorate over time. The advantage with type B jade jewelry is that it is more affordable than type A.
Alas, type C jade goes through the same treatment as type B with the exception that it also receives a dye treatment. The dye has the purpose to enhance the color but, unfortunately, it can wear off in time.
What to avoid when buying jade jewelry
Unfortunately, when it comes to jade, there are many jewelry shops where you can be scammed in buying something that is not jade. This happens because some types of gemstones wrongfully receive the name “jade”. Luckily for you, we are going to tell you what to look for so that you can always make an informed choice.
If you see the name “African jade” or “Garnet jade”, know that the stone is actually green grossularite garnet and has nothing to do with jade. If you are buying jade jewelry named “Amazon jade”, you are, in fact, buying amazonite. “American jade”, on the other hand, is vesuvianite, while “Bowenite jade” or “Serpentine jade” is serpentine. But read further because the list doesn’t stop here. “Honan jade” is nothing but a substitute which can sometimes be quartz, and “Mexican jade” is calcite that they dyed in green.
Besides those names, there is also “Indian jade” (aventurine quartz, in fact), “Korean jade” (simple glass) and “Manchurian jade” (soapstone). Last, but not least, be aware of “Oregon jade”, which is green jasper, “Soochow jade”, “South African jade”, and Transvaal jade” which are all varieties of the above stones.
We know that it sounds like a lot to remember, but just bookmark this page and use it when you want to buy jade jewelry. And now for the more pleasant part…
Which metals look best with jade jewelry?
Here’s some good news. Because of its vivid color and delicate luster, jade looks great with both silver and gold. A silver jade jewelry piece will have a contemporary polished look, while a gold one will always resemble vintage jewelry.
These are the most common metals for jade jewelry but, of course, you can also find jade set in platinum or even white gold.
One last thing that you need to remember before buying jade jewelry is to always ask for a certificate. This way you will make sure that you are buying natural jade (whether jadeite or nephrite) and not a dyed variety of quartz.
If you found this article useful, support us by sharing it with your friends. To learn more about jewelry and access more buying guides, read our other articles as well. If you want to see our designer jewelry collection with limited-edition creations, visit Ana Luisa online jewelry store.
Others interesting posts about this topic :
- 4 Things You Need to Know About Fine Sterling Silver Jewelry
- How to Buy Fine Gold Jewelry Depending on Your Needs
- Best Types of Jewelry this Season
- Where to Find the Best Jewelry Sale?
- Our Favorite Freshwater Pearls Jewelry by Ana Luisa
- How to Buy Agate Jewelry
- How to Check the Diamond Quality
- Top 6 Essential Jewelry Pieces for Any Woman
- Discover Our Top Picks for Capricorn Jewelry
- Sagittarius Jewelry Pieces That You Can’t Wait to Try On
- Scorpio Jewelry Pieces that We Love
- Focus on Leo Jewelry – What Are the Right Pieces for You?
- Best Cancer Jewelry Pieces That You Need to Have
- Taurus Jewelry – Which Pieces Define Your Style?
- Aries Jewelry – Discover the Designs that Represent Your Astrological Sign
- Top Pisces Jewelry Designs that You Will Love
- Focus on Aquarius Jewelry – What Should You Get?
- Trending this Season: Zodiac Jewelry
- Trending 14k Gold Jewelry This Season
- Travel Jewelry – The Best Travel Inspired Designs
- Mothers Day Gift Ideas This Year
- Top Ideas for Mothers Day Jewelry
- Our Top Favorite Pink Gemstones
- How to Buy Black Pearls
- Freshwater Pearls vs. The Saltwater Varieties
- What Jewelry to Offer as a Valentines Day Gift
- Ana Luisa’s Most Popular Jewelry
- Our Top Picks for January Jewelry
- What Is Coin Jewelry?
- Valentines Jewelry: Top Gift Ideas
- Most Important Jewelry Trends this Year
- What Gemstone Jewelry Should Your Wear in 2019?
- Jewelry Gift Boxes Ideas for Christmas
- What Makes a Good Jewelry Gift Box?
- How to Find Jewelry Coupon Codes: Mejuri Coupon Code & Others
- Ana Luisa’s Top of the Best Colorless & White Gemstones
- Top Fabulous Red Gemstones
- Everything You Need to Know about Gold Vermeil Jewelry
- Tourmaline Jewelry Buying Guide
- What is ethnic jewelry?
- Topaz Jewelry Buying Guide
- Our Favorite Simple Jewelry Pieces Any Woman Should Have
- How to Buy Lapis Lazuli Jewelry
- Which Are the Best Jewelry Metals for Your Style?
- 14k Gold VS 18k Gold – Which Should You Get?
- Timeless Jewelry Pieces That You Need to Have
- What Is Hypoallergenic Jewelry?
- Top Interesting Cultural Jewelry Pieces
- Garnet Jewelry Buying Guide
- What Is the Winter Jewelry You Need to Have This Season?
- How to Buy Rose Quartz Jewelry
- 5 Reason Why a Jewelry Gift Card is a Great Idea
- How to Buy Malachite Jewelry
- Top Tips When You Buy Jewelry Online
- Top Christmas Jewelry Present Ideas
- What To Avoid When Buying Black Friday Jewelry?
- Birthday Jewelry Guide
- How To Start Your Jewelry Collection
- How To Pick Personalized Jewelry
- How To Buy Opal Jewelry
- Everything You Need To Know About Rhodium Plating
- White Gold Jewelry, Rose Gold and Yellow Gold – Which One Is Right for You?
- What Is Ancient Greek Jewelry and How to Buy It?
- What Is Byzantine Jewelry and Why Should You Have Some?
- How many gold colors are there?
- How to buy freshwater pearls
- How to buy Akoya pearls
- How to buy South Sea Pearls
- How to buy Tahitian Pearls
- What to look for when choosing a jewelry box
- What are chocolate diamonds?
- How to buy Moonstone jewelry
- How to spot fake pearls
- What to do if you have a nickel allergy?
- What is Inlay Jewelry?
- Should you buy 10k gold jewelry?
- Top tips when buying amethyst jewelry
- What are the different diamond cuts?
- Top 10 gems used for semi precious stones jewelry
- What is estate jewelry?
- What is art deco jewelry?
- How can you tell if your antique jewelry is worth a lot?
- 7 of the World’s Rarest Gemstones & their value
- Enamel jewelry buying guide
- Discover the most expensive gems in the world
- Top Mom Jewelry Gift Ideas
- Zircon vs cubic zirconia – What is the difference?
- Metal Rings Buying Guide
- White Gold vs Platinum – Do You Know the Difference?
- Silver vs Sterling Silver – What is the difference?
- Rose Gold Jewelry Buying Guide
- Gold dipped jewelry – The difference between vermeil & gold plating
- Gold Plated vs Gold Filled Jewelry: What Is the Difference?
- What you should know about gold plated jewelry