Gold vermeil or vermeil jewelry is one of the hottest trends right now. It is the perfect balance between quality and accessibility and it looks gorgeous. When you buy fine jewelry metals, vermeil should be on your shopping list because of its many qualities. Want to know what those are and discover more about gold vermeil? Keep reading to find out.
What is gold vermeil?
As you may have guessed, the term “vermeil” comes from French. If you happen to find “silver-gilt” jewelry, you should know that it is the same thing. And what exactly is that? In short, a sterling silver jewelry piece dipped in gold.
When a sterling silver jewelry piece, let’s say a necklace, is plated with a layer of gold, then it means you have a gold vermeil piece. The process that allows jewelry makers to plate a silver piece with gold is called electrolysis. Just like a solid gold piece, a vermeil one can contain gold of different types. It can be dipped in 10k gold, 14k and so on. You should also know that for the U.S. the minimum purity of gold in a vermeil piece needs to be 10k. If it’s not, then the seller can’t brand the jewelry piece as vermeil.
What is the difference between vermeil & gold plated jewelry?
Many people aren’t aware of the differences between gold vermeil and gold plated jewelry. But these differences are essential.
First things first, gold vermeil is actually precious silver with a gold layer on top of it. The core metal has to be silver, otherwise, jewelry shops can’t sell the piece as vermeil. With gold plated jewelry, however, the core metal can be anything, from brass to copper and stainless steel.
Secondly, for gold vermeil, there is a requirement for the thickness of the gold layer. A vermeil piece needs to have a gold layer at least 2.5 microns thick. Gold plated jewelry, on the other hand, doesn’t have this requirement and the thickness of the gold later is up to the jeweler.
Last, but not least, there is a difference in price. Usually, gold vermeil is more expensive than gold dipped jewelry simply because its core metal is silver and because the gold layer may be thicker.
The durability of gold vermeil
Vermeil jewelry pieces are, usually, durable and great to wear every single day. Of course, the durability of a gold vermeil piece depends on the thickness of the layer of gold and its karat. A piece with a gold layer of 5 microns will be more durable than one with a thickness of 2.5 microns.
However, when it comes to the karat type, things may not be as you expected. Since gold is a soft metal that scratches easily, the higher the karat, the lower the durability of the piece. A 14k gold vermeil piece will be far more durable than a 22k one.
What are the benefits of gold vermeil?
Besides its accessible price, gold vermeil also comes with other benefits that are hard to match by other jewelry types. An important advantage of gold vermeil pieces is that they can be great even for people who suffer from nickel allergies. If you are one of those people, then you know that, generally, gold plated jewelry gives you rashes because of the high nickel content. However, vermeil pieces don’t usually contain nickel which can be great for you. When buying gold vermeil, you should still ask the jeweler if there is any nickel in the piece, just to be safe.
Another great advantage of vermeil is that it offers you the finesse of fine jewelry and the warm shimmer of gold at a lower price than solid gold jewelry. Gold vermeil is also durable and great to wear every day.
Last, but not least, even though vermeil means gold on silver, it can offer a lot of diversity. You can buy rose gold vermeil, white gold and, basically, any of the colors of solid gold jewelry.
Gold vermeil by Ana Luisa
Since Ana Luisa offers you fine quality designer jewelry at fair prices, in our collections you can find gorgeous and unique gold vermeil pieces. Whether you want a delicate rose gold vermeil necklace or a classic yellow gold one, Ana Luisa is the place to check when looking for unique vermeil jewelry. Go ahead and visit our online jewelry shop to see our collections and fall in love with our beautiful and unique designs. You should also know that each creation is limited-edition so you can be sure of the uniqueness of your pieces.
If you want to find out more about jewelry, discover useful buying & maintenance guides, as well as expert jewelry styling tips, check out our other articles. We publish daily articles so you have a lot of reading to do.
Others interesting posts about this topic :
- How to rock cubic zirconia jewelry
- How to Buy Nickel Free Jewelry?
- 4 Things You Need to Know About Fine Sterling Silver Jewelry
- How to Buy Fine Gold Jewelry Depending on Your Needs
- Best Types of Jewelry this Season
- Where to Find the Best Jewelry Sale?
- Our Favorite Freshwater Pearls Jewelry by Ana Luisa
- How to Buy Agate Jewelry
- How to Check the Diamond Quality
- Top 6 Essential Jewelry Pieces for Any Woman
- Discover Our Top Picks for Capricorn Jewelry
- Sagittarius Jewelry Pieces That You Can’t Wait to Try On
- Scorpio Jewelry Pieces that We Love
- Focus on Leo Jewelry – What Are the Right Pieces for You?
- Best Cancer Jewelry Pieces That You Need to Have
- Taurus Jewelry – Which Pieces Define Your Style?
- Aries Jewelry – Discover the Designs that Represent Your Astrological Sign
- Top Pisces Jewelry Designs that You Will Love
- Focus on Aquarius Jewelry – What Should You Get?
- Trending this Season: Zodiac Jewelry
- Trending 14k Gold Jewelry This Season
- Travel Jewelry – The Best Travel Inspired Designs
- Mothers Day Gift Ideas This Year
- Top Ideas for Mothers Day Jewelry
- Our Top Favorite Pink Gemstones
- How to Buy Black Pearls
- Freshwater Pearls vs. The Saltwater Varieties
- What Jewelry to Offer as a Valentines Day Gift
- Ana Luisa’s Most Popular Jewelry
- Our Top Picks for January Jewelry
- What Is Coin Jewelry?
- Valentines Jewelry: Top Gift Ideas
- Most Important Jewelry Trends this Year
- What Gemstone Jewelry Should Your Wear in 2019?
- Jewelry Gift Boxes Ideas for Christmas
- What Makes a Good Jewelry Gift Box?
- How to Find Jewelry Coupon Codes: Mejuri Coupon Code & Others
- Ana Luisa’s Top of the Best Colorless & White Gemstones
- Top Fabulous Red Gemstones
- Tourmaline Jewelry Buying Guide
- What is ethnic jewelry?
- Topaz Jewelry Buying Guide
- Our Favorite Simple Jewelry Pieces Any Woman Should Have
- How to Buy Lapis Lazuli Jewelry
- Which Are the Best Jewelry Metals for Your Style?
- 14k Gold VS 18k Gold – Which Should You Get?
- Timeless Jewelry Pieces That You Need to Have
- What Is Hypoallergenic Jewelry?
- Top Interesting Cultural Jewelry Pieces
- Garnet Jewelry Buying Guide
- What Is the Winter Jewelry You Need to Have This Season?
- How to Buy Rose Quartz Jewelry
- 5 Reason Why a Jewelry Gift Card is a Great Idea
- How to Buy Malachite Jewelry
- Top Tips When You Buy Jewelry Online
- Top Christmas Jewelry Present Ideas
- What To Avoid When Buying Black Friday Jewelry?
- Birthday Jewelry Guide
- How To Start Your Jewelry Collection
- How To Pick Personalized Jewelry
- How To Buy Opal Jewelry
- Everything You Need To Know About Rhodium Plating
- White Gold Jewelry, Rose Gold and Yellow Gold – Which One Is Right for You?
- What Is Ancient Greek Jewelry and How to Buy It?
- What Is Byzantine Jewelry and Why Should You Have Some?
- How many gold colors are there?
- How to buy freshwater pearls
- How to buy Akoya pearls
- How to buy South Sea Pearls
- How to buy Tahitian Pearls
- What to look for when choosing a jewelry box
- What are chocolate diamonds?
- How to buy Moonstone jewelry
- How to buy jade jewelry
- How to spot fake pearls
- What to do if you have a nickel allergy?
- What is Inlay Jewelry?
- Should you buy 10k gold jewelry?
- Top tips when buying amethyst jewelry
- What are the different diamond cuts?
- Top 10 gems used for semi precious stones jewelry
- What is estate jewelry?
- What is art deco jewelry?
- How can you tell if your antique jewelry is worth a lot?
- 7 of the World’s Rarest Gemstones & their value
- Enamel jewelry buying guide
- Discover the most expensive gems in the world
- Top Mom Jewelry Gift Ideas
- Zircon vs cubic zirconia – What is the difference?
- Metal Rings Buying Guide
- White Gold vs Platinum – Do You Know the Difference?
- Silver vs Sterling Silver – What is the difference?
- Rose Gold Jewelry Buying Guide
- Gold dipped jewelry – The difference between vermeil & gold plating
- Gold Plated vs Gold Filled Jewelry: What Is the Difference?
- What you should know about gold plated jewelry