Tourmaline jewelry has a unique charm and elegance. This beautiful gemstone comes in many colors, which is why people call it “the Rainbow” gem. Whether you want to buy precious & semi precious stones jewelry or simply to enhance your gemstone knowledge read further. We have prepared an interesting guide that will help you choose the best tourmaline jewelry for your collection.
What is tourmaline?
A long time ago, people discovered tourmaline in the East Indies, but nowadays they mine also from Australia, Africa, Asia, North America, and Europe. At the base, tourmaline is a crystal silicate which comes in many colors. It has a hardness of 7.5 on the Mohs hardness scale which makes it an ideal choice for jewelry. Tourmaline is durable, beautiful and diverse so what else is there to know about it? Read further to find out how to buy tourmaline jewelry.
How to buy tourmaline jewelry
It will surprise you to find out, but there are actually a handful of minerals under this name. One of the factors that drives the price of this gem is its color, of course.
Tourmaline jewelry color
Here are the most popular types of tourmaline jewelry according to their color:
- Green tourmaline jewelry has been popular for some time now. Whether mint green or with a yellow or blue tint, this type of tourmaline offers great clarity. Another great thing about it is that green tourmaline jewelry doesn’t receive any type of treatment. Its color is 100% natural.
- Chrome-colored tourmaline has a vibrant, deep green color. This is one of the rarest types of tourmaline so expect it to be more expensive than other varieties. However, even though expensive, chrome-colored tourmaline jewelry doesn’t offer the same clarity as other types. The stone has some inclusions visible to the eye, so it requires expert cutting.
- Blue tourmaline jewelry is stunning and precious. Because it is rarer than other varieties (except chrome-colored and Paraiba tourmaline), it is also more expensive. However, when buying it you should ask for a certificate. Shady jewelry stand will sometimes try to pass off an irradiated stone as blue tourmaline.
- Paraiba tourmaline is the most coveted one. You have probably heard of it before as it is one of the rarest gemstones in the world. It has a rich blue or neon color and its price per carat can reach up to $8,000.
- Red & pink tourmaline jewelry is very popular at the moment. You can find it in any jewelry shop and it looks gorgeous set in white gold, platinum or silver.
- Watermelon tourmaline is a very unusual stone. It features two colors, red and green, separated by a white strip. It looks spectacular and can be turned into amazing jewelry pieces. But you should expect to pay more for it as it is not only rare, but it also requires expert cutting skills.
- Canary tourmaline jewelry is extremely rare and has a beautiful yellow color. You will, probably, find it in small stones, about one or two carats. “Canary tourmaline” stones that are very big may not be real tourmaline.
Usually, tourmaline has a good clarity but some inclusions may appear as the gemstone forms in liquid-rich zones. If you want to buy pink or red tourmaline jewelry, its inclusions will not decrease their value because these varieties are rarely without inclusions. However, if you want to buy other tourmaline colors, you should know that a low clarity automatically means a lower price. Don’t pay too much on tourmaline jewelry with many inclusions.
What is interesting to know about the weight of tourmaline is that, once you pass 5 carats, the price will go up. Tourmaline gems under 5 carats, except for Paraiba or Chrome-Colored, are, usually, inexpensive. Of course, the final price of the tourmaline jewelry will depend on the metal as well. A silver tourmaline ring will be less expensive than a white gold or platinum one.
Does tourmaline receive treatments?
The answer is yes. Except for green tourmaline, all the other types can receive a treatment. Many tourmaline stones are heat-treated to enhance their color, but this doesn’t affect the gem’s durability. It affects, however, the way you take care of the gem. With treated tourmaline jewelry, you cannot use mechanical cleaning methods like ultrasonics. You can only clean them by hand so it’s important to ask the jewelry whether the stone has been treated or not before you buy it.
Other treatments may include resin and oil injections, as well as color injections. It’s always a good idea to ask whether the gem has received a treatment or not.
If you liked reading about tourmaline jewelry, check out our other articles as well. To see Ana Luisa’s unique gemstone jewelry collections, visit our online jewelry shop.
Others interesting posts about this topic :
- How to Buy Nickel Free Jewelry?
- 4 Things You Need to Know About Fine Sterling Silver Jewelry
- How to Buy Fine Gold Jewelry Depending on Your Needs
- Best Types of Jewelry this Season
- Where to Find the Best Jewelry Sale?
- Our Favorite Freshwater Pearls Jewelry by Ana Luisa
- How to Buy Agate Jewelry
- How to Check the Diamond Quality
- Top 6 Essential Jewelry Pieces for Any Woman
- Discover Our Top Picks for Capricorn Jewelry
- Sagittarius Jewelry Pieces That You Can’t Wait to Try On
- Scorpio Jewelry Pieces that We Love
- Focus on Leo Jewelry – What Are the Right Pieces for You?
- Best Cancer Jewelry Pieces That You Need to Have
- Taurus Jewelry – Which Pieces Define Your Style?
- Aries Jewelry – Discover the Designs that Represent Your Astrological Sign
- Top Pisces Jewelry Designs that You Will Love
- Focus on Aquarius Jewelry – What Should You Get?
- Trending this Season: Zodiac Jewelry
- Trending 14k Gold Jewelry This Season
- Travel Jewelry – The Best Travel Inspired Designs
- Mothers Day Gift Ideas This Year
- Top Ideas for Mothers Day Jewelry
- Our Top Favorite Pink Gemstones
- How to Buy Black Pearls
- Freshwater Pearls vs. The Saltwater Varieties
- What Jewelry to Offer as a Valentines Day Gift
- Ana Luisa’s Most Popular Jewelry
- Our Top Picks for January Jewelry
- What Is Coin Jewelry?
- Valentines Jewelry: Top Gift Ideas
- Most Important Jewelry Trends this Year
- What Gemstone Jewelry Should Your Wear in 2019?
- Jewelry Gift Boxes Ideas for Christmas
- What Makes a Good Jewelry Gift Box?
- How to Find Jewelry Coupon Codes: Mejuri Coupon Code & Others
- Ana Luisa’s Top of the Best Colorless & White Gemstones
- Top Fabulous Red Gemstones
- Everything You Need to Know about Gold Vermeil Jewelry
- What is ethnic jewelry?
- Topaz Jewelry Buying Guide
- Our Favorite Simple Jewelry Pieces Any Woman Should Have
- How to Buy Lapis Lazuli Jewelry
- Which Are the Best Jewelry Metals for Your Style?
- 14k Gold VS 18k Gold – Which Should You Get?
- Timeless Jewelry Pieces That You Need to Have
- What Is Hypoallergenic Jewelry?
- Top Interesting Cultural Jewelry Pieces
- Garnet Jewelry Buying Guide
- What Is the Winter Jewelry You Need to Have This Season?
- How to Buy Rose Quartz Jewelry
- 5 Reason Why a Jewelry Gift Card is a Great Idea
- How to Buy Malachite Jewelry
- Top Tips When You Buy Jewelry Online
- Top Christmas Jewelry Present Ideas
- What To Avoid When Buying Black Friday Jewelry?
- Birthday Jewelry Guide
- How To Start Your Jewelry Collection
- How To Pick Personalized Jewelry
- How To Buy Opal Jewelry
- Everything You Need To Know About Rhodium Plating
- White Gold Jewelry, Rose Gold and Yellow Gold – Which One Is Right for You?
- What Is Ancient Greek Jewelry and How to Buy It?
- What Is Byzantine Jewelry and Why Should You Have Some?
- How many gold colors are there?
- How to buy freshwater pearls
- How to buy Akoya pearls
- How to buy South Sea Pearls
- How to buy Tahitian Pearls
- What to look for when choosing a jewelry box
- What are chocolate diamonds?
- How to buy Moonstone jewelry
- How to buy jade jewelry
- How to spot fake pearls
- What to do if you have a nickel allergy?
- What is Inlay Jewelry?
- Should you buy 10k gold jewelry?
- Top tips when buying amethyst jewelry
- What are the different diamond cuts?
- Top 10 gems used for semi precious stones jewelry
- What is estate jewelry?
- What is art deco jewelry?
- How can you tell if your antique jewelry is worth a lot?
- 7 of the World’s Rarest Gemstones & their value
- Enamel jewelry buying guide
- Discover the most expensive gems in the world
- Top Mom Jewelry Gift Ideas
- Zircon vs cubic zirconia – What is the difference?
- Metal Rings Buying Guide
- White Gold vs Platinum – Do You Know the Difference?
- Silver vs Sterling Silver – What is the difference?
- Rose Gold Jewelry Buying Guide
- Gold dipped jewelry – The difference between vermeil & gold plating
- Gold Plated vs Gold Filled Jewelry: What Is the Difference?
- What you should know about gold plated jewelry