Fine sterling silver jewelry is not only beautiful and elegant but also easy to style. Owning a couple of silver pieces is a must for any woman that loves jewelry. If you are thinking of sprucing up your jewelry collection with a couple of new fine sterling silver jewelry pieces, then read on. We have created an informational article for you where you will not only discover how to buy fine jewelry metals, but also some interesting facts about silver. Find out if fine sterling silver jewelry is hypoallergenic or how to prevent your silver pieces from tarnishing. Read on to become a jewelry expert.
How many types of silver are there?
Fine sterling silver jewelry has the marking 925 on it because it contains 92.5% silver and, usually, 7.5% copper. This is the most used type of silver in jewelry because this alloy has a couple of advantages. It is durable, affordable and it has a bright and shiny color that we adore.
Besides fine sterling silver jewelry, there are also other types of silver jewelry. Some earrings and necklaces may present the stamp 999, which means that the piece contains 99.9% silver. Without the copper in the alloy, these pieces are very fragile and they can easily get scratched. This is one of the reasons why you will never find rings or bracelets made of 99.9% silver.
A relatively new type of silver is Argentium. This alloy contains 92.5% silver, just like fine sterling silver jewelry, but it also contains germanium, a metal that prevents tarnishing under normal circumstances. However, this alloy is far more expensive and it is quite complicated to get the authorization to use the stamp for Argentium.
A rare type of silver that almost nobody uses today in jewelry is coin silver. This type of silver alloy contains 90% pure silver and its name comes from the fact that it used to be made from refined scrap coins.
Is fine sterling silver jewelry hypoallergenic?
Most people that suffer from metal allergy are actually allergic to nickel. In this regard, silver jewelry is, usually, hypoallergenic because it only contains silver and copper. However, it is always a good idea to ask the jeweler if the piece you want to buy contains nickel. Some manufacturers use nickel in sterling silver alloys to offer the jewelry piece its lustrous and beautiful color. So make sure to get information when buying fine sterling silver jewelry if you know yourself to be allergic to nickel.
How to prevent silver jewelry from tarnishing?
One of the main problems with fine sterling silver jewelry is that, eventually, it tarnishes and changes its shiny look, becoming dull. The bad news is that you can’t really prevent silver jewelry from getting tarnished because this is a natural process that happens over time.
The good news is that the process is reversible and also that you can delay it. When you wear your fine sterling silver jewelry, the natural oils from your skin help slow down the tarnishing process. In other words, the more you wear your silver jewelry, the slower it gets tarnished.
When you are not wearing it, make sure to keep it away from water and harsh chemicals. Even the moisture in the air can accelerate the tarnishing process if there is too much moisture. But as long as you keep your pieces in the jewelry box in a dry place everything should be fine.
If you notice that your fine sterling silver jewelry has tarnish layer, you can remove it at home using a silver polishing cloth. However, if the tarnish layer is too thick, then you can take your pieces to the jeweler’s for professional polishing.
Some fine sterling silver jewelry pieces contain a rhodium plating that prevents tarnishing. However, they are more expensive than the usual sterling silver pieces. We recommend getting rhodium-plated silver pieces for statement earrings or jewelry that you will only wear on special occasions. This way, your pieces won’t tarnish even if you do not wear them very often.
What fine sterling silver jewelry pieces should I buy this season?
And because we couldn’t end this article without a little bit of fashion inspiration, let us discuss which silver pieces are trending this fall.
First of all, sterling silver hoop earrings have a special place in this season’s trends. Whether you get oversized silver hoops or mini hoop earrings, get silver ones and enjoy a polished and beautiful look.
If you are not a fan of hoops (we can’t imagine that, but, hey, it happens), then get a pair of chic silver studs with cubic zirconia or clear crystal gemstone. This classic design is very fashionable this season and it is also very easy to style with your other jewelry.
Chunky silver rings are also very hot this season and we are already in love with them. Choose designs without gemstones to get a polished metallic look.
Other jewelry pieces that you should get this season are ball chain necklaces, midi rings and textured silver bangle bracelets.
If you enjoyed discovering more about jewelry, then check out the rest of the articles on our blog. If you want to buy any of the pieces featured in this article and see our fine silver jewelry collection, visit Ana Luisa online jewelry shop.
Others interesting posts about this topic :
- 4 Evil Eye Jewelry Pieces that You Need to Have
- What is Mother of Pearl Jewelry?
- How to rock cubic zirconia jewelry
- How to Buy Nickel Free Jewelry?
- How to Buy Fine Gold Jewelry Depending on Your Needs
- Best Types of Jewelry this Season
- Where to Find the Best Jewelry Sale?
- Our Favorite Freshwater Pearls Jewelry by Ana Luisa
- How to Buy Agate Jewelry
- How to Check the Diamond Quality
- Top 6 Essential Jewelry Pieces for Any Woman
- Discover Our Top Picks for Capricorn Jewelry
- Sagittarius Jewelry Pieces That You Can’t Wait to Try On
- Scorpio Jewelry Pieces that We Love
- Focus on Leo Jewelry – What Are the Right Pieces for You?
- Best Cancer Jewelry Pieces That You Need to Have
- Taurus Jewelry – Which Pieces Define Your Style?
- Aries Jewelry – Discover the Designs that Represent Your Astrological Sign
- Top Pisces Jewelry Designs that You Will Love
- Focus on Aquarius Jewelry – What Should You Get?
- Trending this Season: Zodiac Jewelry
- Trending 14k Gold Jewelry This Season
- Travel Jewelry – The Best Travel Inspired Designs
- Mothers Day Gift Ideas This Year
- Top Ideas for Mothers Day Jewelry
- Our Top Favorite Pink Gemstones
- How to Buy Black Pearls
- Freshwater Pearls vs. The Saltwater Varieties
- What Jewelry to Offer as a Valentines Day Gift
- Ana Luisa’s Most Popular Jewelry
- Our Top Picks for January Jewelry
- What Is Coin Jewelry?
- Valentines Jewelry: Top Gift Ideas
- Most Important Jewelry Trends this Year
- What Gemstone Jewelry Should Your Wear in 2019?
- Jewelry Gift Boxes Ideas for Christmas
- What Makes a Good Jewelry Gift Box?
- How to Find Jewelry Coupon Codes: Mejuri Coupon Code & Others
- Ana Luisa’s Top of the Best Colorless & White Gemstones
- Top Fabulous Red Gemstones
- Everything You Need to Know about Gold Vermeil Jewelry
- Tourmaline Jewelry Buying Guide
- What is ethnic jewelry?
- Topaz Jewelry Buying Guide
- Our Favorite Simple Jewelry Pieces Any Woman Should Have
- How to Buy Lapis Lazuli Jewelry
- Which Are the Best Jewelry Metals for Your Style?
- 14k Gold VS 18k Gold – Which Should You Get?
- Timeless Jewelry Pieces That You Need to Have
- What Is Hypoallergenic Jewelry?
- Top Interesting Cultural Jewelry Pieces
- Garnet Jewelry Buying Guide
- What Is the Winter Jewelry You Need to Have This Season?
- How to Buy Rose Quartz Jewelry
- 5 Reason Why a Jewelry Gift Card is a Great Idea
- How to Buy Malachite Jewelry
- Top Tips When You Buy Jewelry Online
- Top Christmas Jewelry Present Ideas
- What To Avoid When Buying Black Friday Jewelry?
- Birthday Jewelry Guide
- How To Start Your Jewelry Collection
- How To Pick Personalized Jewelry
- How To Buy Opal Jewelry
- Everything You Need To Know About Rhodium Plating
- White Gold Jewelry, Rose Gold and Yellow Gold – Which One Is Right for You?
- What Is Ancient Greek Jewelry and How to Buy It?
- What Is Byzantine Jewelry and Why Should You Have Some?
- How many gold colors are there?
- How to buy freshwater pearls
- How to buy Akoya pearls
- How to buy South Sea Pearls
- How to buy Tahitian Pearls
- What to look for when choosing a jewelry box
- What are chocolate diamonds?
- How to buy Moonstone jewelry
- How to buy jade jewelry
- How to spot fake pearls
- What to do if you have a nickel allergy?
- What is Inlay Jewelry?
- Should you buy 10k gold jewelry?
- Top tips when buying amethyst jewelry
- What are the different diamond cuts?
- Top 10 gems used for semi precious stones jewelry
- What is estate jewelry?
- What is art deco jewelry?
- How can you tell if your antique jewelry is worth a lot?
- 7 of the World’s Rarest Gemstones & their value
- Enamel jewelry buying guide
- Discover the most expensive gems in the world
- Top Mom Jewelry Gift Ideas
- Zircon vs cubic zirconia – What is the difference?
- Metal Rings Buying Guide
- White Gold vs Platinum – Do You Know the Difference?
- Silver vs Sterling Silver – What is the difference?
- Rose Gold Jewelry Buying Guide
- Gold dipped jewelry – The difference between vermeil & gold plating
- Gold Plated vs Gold Filled Jewelry: What Is the Difference?
- What you should know about gold plated jewelry