So. you probably know that white gold, rose gold and yellow gold are different colors of the same metal. But, do you know what makes your white gold jewelry different from your rose gold and yellow gold jewelry, aside from the color? When you buy precious jewelry metals, do you know which one to get? Relax, this won’t be an unpleasant moment of deja vu to your high school chemistry class. Instead, we’ll teach you the difference that really matters to you. How do you style each type of gold? Keep reading to find out more about the gold trio.
The Quickest Crash Course in Gold
Okay, perhaps that was a white lie. When talking about the different types of gold it is hard to avoid talking about its properties. So, here comes a little overview of the different types of gold. Knowing these facts will come in handy when you are struggling to decide between a new piece of white gold jewelry and yellow gold jewelry.
How Does Each Type of Gold Get Its Color?
Each type of gold gets its color from the other metals it is combined with to create a stronger compound. Yellow is the color of gold in its natural state. Yellow gold jewelry usually contains zinc or copper but the proportions ensure that yellow gold maintains its shade.
White gold and rose gold are made from the same yellow gold but combined with another metal that changes the coloring. White gold jewelry is usually a yellow gold alloy with palladium, silver or manganese. However, the color that you see is actually from the layer of rhodium on the white gold jewelry. Rhodium can wear off and reveal the yellower gold underneath.
Rose gold is an alloy of yellow gold with copper. The level of copper in the alloy is what gives rose gold jewelry its blush shade.
Is There a Difference In Value?
Not necessarily. Gold’s value or purity is expressed in karats. 24 karat gold means that the piece is of gold at its purest form. But since gold is a soft metal, 24k gold jewelry pieces don’t exist. Lower karats indicate a lower percentage of gold which also lowers the price.
White gold jewelry, rose gold jewelry and yellow gold jewelry do not differ much in price. This is because the purity of all three is expressed in karats. What drives the price of gold is not its shade but how many karats the piece has. A 22k white gold jewelry will be more expensive than the same design in 14k yellow gold.
The reason that jewelry makers choose a lower karat is because gold is a sensitive metal. It is easily scratched and more fragile than other metals. This is why a wedding ring is rarely made of 22 karats but rather of 14 or 18 karats.
How to Style Each Type of Gold
It is up to you to decide which color gold to rock. Here we will give you tips on styling white gold jewelry, rose gold jewelry and yellow gold jewelry. Or, if you want to be on trend, wear jewelry pieces that combine more than one gold shade.
Sleek White Gold Jewelry
White gold jewelry catches light beautifully and you’ll also catch everyone’s attention. It exudes confidence and glamour at the same time. White gold cranks up the volume of any outfit while still seeming effortless. This makes white gold jewelry worthy of strong women with an edgy style. Wear white gold with your power suit or sexy LBD. Feel bold when wearing white gold jewelry.
Classic Yellow Gold Jewelry
You can’t go wrong with adding yellow gold jewelry pieces to your outfit. It is a universally matching color. Yellow gold jewelry is a good choice for those that like to keep their clothes classic. It can work for your casual but still stylish white t-shirt and jeans look but just as great with your colorful cocktail dress. Yellow gold jewelry is an essential for any jewelry box.
Romantic Rose Gold Jewelry
Rose gold jewelry has a romantic quality to it. Bohemian women but also those that dress superbly feminine will fall in love with rose gold. A velvet suit jacket is complimented by rose gold jewelry with a vintage flair. The pinkish hue of rose gold also brightens up a flowing white dress. Rose gold jewelry has a softness that adds sweetness to your outfit.
And now you are ready to try a new gold style. Has rose gold jewelry charmed your fashion heart or are those white gold earrings your new favorite pair? Whichever shade is matches your style, gold jewelry will elevate any outfit. Read more on our blog to get into detail on solid gold jewelry pieces. If you want to Ana Luisa’s unique solid gold jewelry creations, visit our online jewelry shop.
Others interesting posts about this topic :
- What is Mother of Pearl Jewelry?
- How to rock cubic zirconia jewelry
- How to Buy Nickel Free Jewelry?
- 4 Things You Need to Know About Fine Sterling Silver Jewelry
- How to Buy Fine Gold Jewelry Depending on Your Needs
- Best Types of Jewelry this Season
- Where to Find the Best Jewelry Sale?
- Our Favorite Freshwater Pearls Jewelry by Ana Luisa
- How to Buy Agate Jewelry
- How to Check the Diamond Quality
- Top 6 Essential Jewelry Pieces for Any Woman
- Discover Our Top Picks for Capricorn Jewelry
- Sagittarius Jewelry Pieces That You Can’t Wait to Try On
- Scorpio Jewelry Pieces that We Love
- Focus on Leo Jewelry – What Are the Right Pieces for You?
- Best Cancer Jewelry Pieces That You Need to Have
- Taurus Jewelry – Which Pieces Define Your Style?
- Aries Jewelry – Discover the Designs that Represent Your Astrological Sign
- Top Pisces Jewelry Designs that You Will Love
- Focus on Aquarius Jewelry – What Should You Get?
- Trending this Season: Zodiac Jewelry
- Trending 14k Gold Jewelry This Season
- Travel Jewelry – The Best Travel Inspired Designs
- Mothers Day Gift Ideas This Year
- Top Ideas for Mothers Day Jewelry
- Our Top Favorite Pink Gemstones
- How to Buy Black Pearls
- Freshwater Pearls vs. The Saltwater Varieties
- What Jewelry to Offer as a Valentines Day Gift
- Ana Luisa’s Most Popular Jewelry
- Our Top Picks for January Jewelry
- What Is Coin Jewelry?
- Valentines Jewelry: Top Gift Ideas
- Most Important Jewelry Trends this Year
- What Gemstone Jewelry Should Your Wear in 2019?
- Jewelry Gift Boxes Ideas for Christmas
- What Makes a Good Jewelry Gift Box?
- How to Find Jewelry Coupon Codes: Mejuri Coupon Code & Others
- Ana Luisa’s Top of the Best Colorless & White Gemstones
- Top Fabulous Red Gemstones
- Everything You Need to Know about Gold Vermeil Jewelry
- Tourmaline Jewelry Buying Guide
- What is ethnic jewelry?
- Topaz Jewelry Buying Guide
- Our Favorite Simple Jewelry Pieces Any Woman Should Have
- How to Buy Lapis Lazuli Jewelry
- Which Are the Best Jewelry Metals for Your Style?
- 14k Gold VS 18k Gold – Which Should You Get?
- Timeless Jewelry Pieces That You Need to Have
- What Is Hypoallergenic Jewelry?
- Top Interesting Cultural Jewelry Pieces
- Garnet Jewelry Buying Guide
- What Is the Winter Jewelry You Need to Have This Season?
- How to Buy Rose Quartz Jewelry
- 5 Reason Why a Jewelry Gift Card is a Great Idea
- How to Buy Malachite Jewelry
- Top Tips When You Buy Jewelry Online
- Top Christmas Jewelry Present Ideas
- What To Avoid When Buying Black Friday Jewelry?
- Birthday Jewelry Guide
- How To Start Your Jewelry Collection
- How To Pick Personalized Jewelry
- How To Buy Opal Jewelry
- Everything You Need To Know About Rhodium Plating
- What Is Ancient Greek Jewelry and How to Buy It?
- What Is Byzantine Jewelry and Why Should You Have Some?
- How many gold colors are there?
- How to buy freshwater pearls
- How to buy Akoya pearls
- How to buy South Sea Pearls
- How to buy Tahitian Pearls
- What to look for when choosing a jewelry box
- What are chocolate diamonds?
- How to buy Moonstone jewelry
- How to buy jade jewelry
- How to spot fake pearls
- What to do if you have a nickel allergy?
- What is Inlay Jewelry?
- Should you buy 10k gold jewelry?
- Top tips when buying amethyst jewelry
- What are the different diamond cuts?
- Top 10 gems used for semi precious stones jewelry
- What is estate jewelry?
- What is art deco jewelry?
- How can you tell if your antique jewelry is worth a lot?
- 7 of the World’s Rarest Gemstones & their value
- Enamel jewelry buying guide
- Discover the most expensive gems in the world
- Top Mom Jewelry Gift Ideas
- Zircon vs cubic zirconia – What is the difference?
- Metal Rings Buying Guide
- White Gold vs Platinum – Do You Know the Difference?
- Silver vs Sterling Silver – What is the difference?
- Rose Gold Jewelry Buying Guide
- Gold dipped jewelry – The difference between vermeil & gold plating
- Gold Plated vs Gold Filled Jewelry: What Is the Difference?
- What you should know about gold plated jewelry