Vintage jewelry has been in style for some time now. Cameo brooches, pearl strands, and cluster earrings have made a big comeback and it looks as if they are here to stay. And which woman isn’t attracted to styling fine jewelry from a time when men dressed like Clark Gable and looked like Alain Delon? Elegance, creativity, and luxury – vintage jewelry has it all. So it’s time to embrace the trend and learn how to wear vintage jewelry like a true fashion icon. Become a contemporary Audrey Hepburn or Ava Gardner by reading this article and following our advice.
Rule no. 1 – vintage, but contemporary
If you are planning to go out wearing your pearl clusters along with a flapper dress and multiple pearl strands, think again. You don’t want to win the best Halloween costume prize (unless it’s actually Halloween), do you? The point is that vintage jewelry looks great with contemporary pieces. If you are wearing too much vintage you will end up looking less like a fashion icon and more like a character from The Time Machine. The best idea is to combine your vintage heart locket, for example, with a simple T-shirt or a flowery summer dress.
Rule no. 2 – remember the brooch
This isn’t to say that you should wear a brooch with every outfit but, as any self-respecting vintage lover, you should have a couple of them in your jewelry box. The classic Victorian cameo is a must, as well as big gemstone brooches. Once you complete your brooch collection of vintage jewelry, it’s time to mix and match. Be creative and pin your brooch on your bag, headband or scarf. Wear it with contemporary jewelry, like mismatched earrings or geometric rings to create a fun effect.
Rule no. 3 – dots are good for you
We know you love dots and you probably have a couple of dotted dresses and skirts in your wardrobe. But earrings can have dots as well and the proof is just below. Ana Luisa’s Kinoko earrings in red and blue will help you create a wonderful vintage effect as long as you wear them with the right outfit. A midi white dress or a tank top and a pair of high-waist mom jeans will look gorgeous with these earrings.
Rule no. 4 – stack your pearls
Who doesn’t love pearls? When it comes to vintage jewelry, pearls are the queens. For a glamorous look, wear multiple strands of pearls or a very long one. To get a preppy 60s look, wear a princess-length pearl necklace. As we said before, the first rule still stands. Choose a contemporary outfit for your pearls to avoid looking like in one of those 60s commercials.
Rule no. 5 – don’t be afraid of statement vintage jewelry
A big cocktail ring, a pair of diamond clusters or an oversized brooch – your choice. If you are a true vintage lover, let it show. Of course, just as with contemporary statement pieces, you shouldn’t wear more than two at once. In the case of vintage jewelry, we will restrict this rule to one statement piece in order to let it shine. You can either wear delicate, subtle jewelry with it or no other jewelry at all. The effect will still be fabulous.
Rule no. 6 – Mix it up
As any trendsetter knows, this season is all about layered necklaces, stacked bracelets, and rings. Who said that you can shoot two rabbits at once? Metaphorically speaking, of course. We promise that no rabbits were hurt in the making of this article. Don’t be afraid to combine your vintage jewelry pieces with contemporary ones or even stack them. A vintage cuff can look amazing with a leather bracelet and a geometric bangle. A heart locket will look fabulous with a leather choker, and so on. Don’t be afraid to make bold choices and always trust the mirror. If you like what you see, others will too.
Rule no. 7 – think outside the jewelry box
Why wear classic jewelry in a classic way? Those clip-on vintage clusters may look gorgeous on your ears, but it doesn’t mean that you can clip them on your sandals, for example. Rings as pendants, necklaces as headbands, you have all these options right in front of you. Just don’t be afraid to experiment with your vintage jewelry and discover new and fresh looks every day.
Vintage jewelry is amazing and the best part about it is that you can reinvent it. You can wear a classic piece in an unconventional way to match it with contemporary outfits to emphasize its charm. Our point is that you don’t need to google “40s style” and match the pictures you find. You can simply take a vintage jewelry piece and transfer your personal style and charm to it.
And speaking of personal style, upgrade yours by visiting Ana Luisa’s online jewelry shop and ordering from our limited-edition unique jewelry collections.
Others interesting posts about this topic :
- Our Top Picks for Chic Jewelry with Pearls
- Our top choices for delicate jewelry – Monday to Sunday styling guide
- What to Wear to Pride This Year
- Let’s Be Solidary with Rainbow Jewelry
- 5 Star Jewelry Designs that Will Brighten Up Your Nights
- Summer Outfits & Our New Jewelry Collection
- Trending Jewelry this Season – Our Top 5 List
- 5 Geometric Jewelry Trends that You Need to Try
- April’s Favorites – Our Top Picks for Modern Jewelry this Month
- What makes Ana Luisa the Best Online Jewelers?
- 5 Best Christmas Outfit Ideas with Ana Luisa Jewelry
- How to Style Celestial Jewelry
- 5 Fab Vintage Fine Jewelry Ideas by Ana Luisa
- 3 Fall Recommendations from Fine Jewelers
- 5 Everyday Jewelry Pieces & How to Style Them
- Unique Designer Jewelry by Ana Luisa in Co-creation with fashion icons
- Best Bridal Jewelry Ideas by Ana Luisa
- Lady in Red Look: Top Ana Luisa’s Pieces with Red Gemstones
- How to Style Shell Jewelry
- 4 Summer Jewelry Pieces that We Love
- Wearing Black Onyx Jewelry with Other Gemstone Jewelry
- The Best Prom Jewelry Ideas for Prom
- How to Wear Jewelry Sets in a Modern Way?
- The Best Libra Jewelry That Will Match Your Style
- Virgo Jewelry – Discover the Best Designs for You
- Finding the Right Gemini Jewelry for You
- Paris Jewelry Inspiration
- When Should You Wear Gold Vermeil?
- What New Year Jewelry to Wear to the Party?
- Our Top Picks for December Jewelry
- What Is Hair Jewelry?
- How To Wear Flower Jewelry?
- Best Strapless Dress Jewelry Ideas
- How To Style Tassel Jewelry
- What Is The Best Office Jewelry For You?
- What Types of Jeans Jewelry Are There?
- Top Trendy Jewelry This Winter
- How to Style Onyx Jewelry
- Top fashion tips for styling solid gold jewelry
- How to style Rose Gold jewelry
- Silver vs gold – the eternal question
- Best Couples Jewelry Ideas
- Jewelry designs by era
- Best Party Jewelry Ideas
- The Ultimate Guide to combining Gemstone Jewelry
- Designer Jewelry & the four personality types
- Fall Jewelry Upcoming Trends
- Zodiac jewelry – What pieces are best for each astrological sign
- Romantic jewelry – What to wear on your dreamy first date
- What prom jewelry to wear on your special night
- What to choose from your jewelry box for an interview